Monday, January 21, 2013

Being Atheist and Southern

Yes, I'm an atheist.  Yes, I am also a Southern woman.  The two actually go quite nicely together.  I will still bless your heart, but it has no religious meaning behind it.  It's my way of saying "I'm sorry for your situation, however horrible or funny it is".  

There's a lot of misconceptions about Atheists, and there's a lot of misconceptions about Southerners.  To be both is almost mind boggling.  Living in the South, people automatically assume you're Christian.  They talk openly about god's graces and when you do happen to mention you're a non believer, you're automatically grouped in the same category as a devil worshiper.  Or baby eater.  Same difference in their eyes.

Northerners are no different, despite how much they like to think so.  When they hear my southern twang, and I'm telling them how I don't believe in "gawd", they get confused because they assume that The South and god go hand in hand.  It's crazy, but I seem to defy many stereotypes all at one time.  I guess it's my way of time management????????

Anyways, I started this blog in the hopes that I may reach others who are going through the same thing I am, with letting go of my faith.  I've lost a lot of people due to it, but I'm not letting that hold me back like it has in the past.  



                                       ~*~One of my biggest inspirations, Jerry Dewitt.  ~*~

5 comments:

  1. I lived in Memphis for a few years, and so I understand, bless your heart! Love your Jerry Dewitt picture and the quote. It is wonderful to break stereoptypes.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Being an atheist in North Carolina can be challenging. Though I'm out to my parents, sibling, & friends (even a few coworkers), I still don't feel I can be out during job interviews or in public sometimes. Keep up the blog & more power to you!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Much love to you both!!!! Thank you for the positive feedback It totally made my day :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Im from middle Georgia, retired military and came out to my family and friends as an atheist. extended family not happy. My parents..bless their hearts..; ). Are ok with it. I think being a combat vet gives me leeway and they just think Im off my rocker. Either way it's a been a joy.

    ReplyDelete
  5. My extended family doesn't really talk to me anymore. My mom kinda knows and my grandma is completely in the dark about it. I don't want to give her a heart attack.

    ReplyDelete